EMA clinical pathway
Medical abortion can be safely offered to pregnant people up to 63 days gestation who have made an informed, voluntary choice for an abortion and:
- have an intrauterine pregnancy
- have had a caesarean section
- have a multi-fetal pregnancy
- are obese
- have uterine abnormalities, including fibroids
- have positive STI pathology and have commenced treatment
- wish to avoid surgical intervention
- are currently breastfeeding
- have available supports, can access emergency care and be active in post-procedure follow-up
- are able to commence MS2Step at or before day 63 gestation.
Please refer to the Early medical abortion procedure summary and clinical guidelines below.
- Establish accurate expectations for normal pain and bleeding associated with administration of MS2Step
- Pre-load with medications prior to misoprostol administration and in the first 24 hours
- Provide written information of expected symptoms
- Provide written information of symptoms that require review with an action plan
- Follow-up is important to assess wellbeing and resolution of the pregnancy.