The Women's Radiology Service is a progressive, multi-disciplinary 24 hour service.
The service provides general adult, paediatric and neonatal radiology, a wide range of Fluoroscopic procedures, general and neonatal Ultrasound, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Mammography, including diagnostic and interventional procedures.
- MRI for pregnant patients with suspected foetal or placental abnormalities
- Stereotactic biopsies of suspicious mass lesions of the breast
- Ultrasound guided drainage of ascites
- Ultrasound guided removal of Implanon contraceptive devices
- Fluoroscopic guidance for any procedures performed in the operating theatres
- Bone density scanning of women to assess the increase of fracture risk due to osteoporosis
- Women who have a referral from a GP, specialist or other health service provider regardless of whether they are patients of the Women's or not
- Women who have a current Medicare card
- We cannot see women who do not have a current Medicare card
The service operates Monday-Friday 8:30am – 5:30pm, with 24 hour on-call coverage.
Referrals will be triaged and assessed for clinical urgency. Appointments will be offered based on clinical triage and availability of service.
Some services, such as Implanon removal, are considered not clinically urgent and are offered only when there is clinical availability.
Magnetic Resonance Guided Ultrasound (MRgFUS)
MRgFUS uses MRI and focused ultrasound to find and treat fibroids. From January 2023, the Women's will no longer be providing this service.
Please complete and fax or email the Fast Fax Referral form to the Pauline Gandel Women's Imaging Centre. Before an appointment can be made, the referral must be sighted and presented for triage.
For urgent (specialist) referrals, please call the Centre to discuss the referral.
An acknowledgement letter will be sent directly to the patient and the GP will be notified. The patient will then receive a letter with the appointment details.